Friday, 1 July 2011

New "T&J" Golden Collection DVD

While I had been away for two weeks, I took a look at Cartoon Brew's site - and noticed that on one of their posts - that there was going to be an upcoming DVD collection called the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection and from what I heard, I feel that it's going to be bigger and better. From the older DVD collections there used to be like the Spotlight Collections or the Classic Collection. I remember that they would leave out a few shorts in the original series, and that had always used to really tick me off - when cartoons like Mouse Cleaning or The Million Dollar Cat were excluded, and I used to think - why? Now, those cartoons will be included in the Golden Collection - and Mouse Cleaning will be hopefully be restored for the second Golden Collection set.


Here is the cover, for the new set - and I really like this. It sticks to the original Tom and Jerry animation from the early 1940's, and I feel that this cover explains that the original Bob Allen designs of Tom and Jerry show that this IS the 1st edition - while in the next one, it'll show the designs that we know T&J today. The designs here is basically a take from The Midnight Snack which is probably the first "official" Tom and Jerry short - where they are named, designed, and with producer Fred Quimby.

Here is the episode list of what is going to be at the new box set:

  1. Puss Gets the Boot
  2. The Midnight Snack
  3. The Night Before Christmas
  4. Fraidy Cat
  5. Dog Trouble
  6. Puss n' Toots
  7. The Bowling Alley Cat
  8. Fine Feathered Friend
  9. Sufferin' Cats!
  10. The Lonesome Mouse
  11. The Yankee Doodle Mouse
  12. Baby Puss
  13. The Zoot Cat
  14. The Million Dollar Cat
  15. The Bodyguard
  16. Puttin' on the Dog
  17. Mouse Trouble
  18. The Mouse Comes to Dinner
  19. Mouse in Manhattan
  20. Tee for Two
  21. Flirty Birdy
  22. Quiet Please!
  23. Springtime for Thomas
  24. The Milky Waif
  25. Trap Happy
  26. Solid Serenade
  27. Cat Fishin'
  28. Part Time Pal
  29. The Cat Concerto
  30. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse
  31. Salt Water Tabby
  32. A Mouse in the House
  33. The Invisible Mouse
  34. Kitty Foiled
  35. The Truce Hurts
  36. Old Rockin' Chair Tom
  37. Professor Tom
This should sound exciting for me, but I do feel that Mouse Cleaning could be at least included in the box set, but I'll just have to wait and see. I've heard that in the DVD set, that they are going to be shown in their original 1.33:1 aspect ratio from their theatrical releases, well at least according to Jerry Beck. It would mean that probably the original title cards will be shown - probably. It means that the original Lillian Randolph dialogue for Mammy Two-Shoes will be included, apart from modernized African-American actresses that were called in to make the voices more appropriate, and even excluding the re-animated scenes with a white woman involved. I've always thought that Mammy Two-Shoes was a fun character to me, it's the dialogue that she says that makes me laugh - but that's another story.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to the DVD coming out with some documentaries with one called Vaudeville, Slapstick and Tom and Jerry - and I'm wondering - when does this reach overseas at the United Kingdom?

No comments: