Monday, 18 April 2011

Drawing Disney


This isn't a post that I was supposed to do ages ago, but over the past few days I did some drawings from Disney films such as Lady and the Tramp, The Sword in the Stone and The Fox and the Hound. There are a couple of frames in the films that I took a look at and I carefully tried to copy what it looked like. I thought that drawing the tough dogs in Lady and the Tramp would've been difficult, and I carefully copied it from the screen - no tracings and it gives a great effect.

I didn't choose specific scenes to draw - I just found some stuff on YouTube from the films that I quietly got on and drew, although I'm probably most proud of drawings that I did in Lady and the Tramp where the Tramp fights the outnumbered tough dogs to defend Lady. That was animated by Woolie Reitherman and Woolie rocks my world (when it comes to animating). I felt that my drawings of the dogs that I copied over at my computer screen felt real, and I want to share it to you.

That there is a scene where the Tramp warns and encounters the tough dogs, and they are preparing to fight and growl. It is a tour-de-force shot, and I liked it a lot. I didn't think that I could copy the drawings, but from what I drew, it really does look great. You do have to agree with me.
This is a small scene from The Sword in the Stone where Merlin, Archimedes and the Wart are leaving Merlin's cottage to head to the castle, while the Wolf unsuccessfully tries to chase after the Wart. Merlin says the line, "By the way, what direction is this castle of yours?" Archimedes (the highly educated owl) raises his eyebrows one way to another. I like the rough drawings in that scene, and it was animated by John Lounsbery. Sorry, if I drew Merlin's hat pretty bad. I did this very quickly.
This is a scene in The Fox and the Hound where the Chief tries to chase after Todd, on the highway railway tracks, Chief is run over by an incoming locomotive and falls down and injures himself. In this drawing, this is Copper when he discovers that Chief is hurt and very disappointed that Todd caused this incident.


This is another great action scene where the Tramp is fighting one of the dogs, and he bites one of his legs like eating a bone - this is a cross between violence and a gag and Woolie Reitherman is very good at assignments like this. You may think that I haven't drawn all of the dogs there, well I got a framegrab online and that was a scene that I found. Of course, I added bits on the dog to add some stuff, but I had to be careful, and adding it does add the final touch.

This is another Archimedes drawing done in the same sequence as I drew the owl. Also done by Lounsbery.

This is a great sequence in The Sword in the Stone and it's the sequence where Merlin and Wart transform into squirrels and learning about the life of a squirrel - but it turns out that their learning period was cut short when they are attracted by female squirrels, as Merlin points out that female and male squirrels are mated for like. That I didn't know, but I know that swans are mated for life - but I never heard about squirrels.
The scene was brilliantly animated by Frank Thomas - who animated most of the squirrels here. To me, I think this animation that really gets me from Frank Thomas. I think that's probably his best on this sequence. This has tender acting here, when the Wart is hiding behind Merlin's tail and the girl squirrel is looking for Wart and Merlin sort of tricks Wart into believing him and he points to where the Wart is hiding. I did some drawings here - and mind you that I ended up rubbing out some of the female squirrels because it didn't feel right, and then I did what I could do. My Merlin squirrel probably looks clumsy but I did what I could do.

This is a scene in The Fox and the Hound where Boomer, who is a scatterbrained woodpecker (voiced by Paul Winchell, who also does Tigger), and he is after Squeeks the caterpillar. The shot is only roughly 8 frames long (if it's true - I will need to see the draft soon), and his intelligent, wise friend Dinky, a canary are trying to go after Squeeks for breakfast. If I'm not mistaken, this is a Cliff Nordberg scene and it was his last film that he worked on before dying of a heart attack in 1979 after his rough animation was completed. It was reported that while working on the film, he was at the top of the footage report list, since he was the most experienced animator on the film. I believe that Jerry Rees, John Musker and Brad Bird also did some work on Boomer and Dinky, and Squeeks the caterpillar.

This is all my stuff that I've posted here. I'd really appreciate if I hear your comments on my collection of drawings that I did Disney style.

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Interesting. I find that your Archimedes drawings are the best. I would definitely suggest getting the Preston Blair book and going to John K.'s blog. These will teach you construction and make you even better.

Steven Hartley said...

I will try and take a look at the blog and the book - and see what they have to offer.

Interesting how you like my Archimedes drawings better. I don't mind them.