Sunday, 20 February 2011

Thoughts on "Bagpuss" Opening

Here today, I want to share my thoughts on the opening of "Bagpuss", and in my opinion - one of the creepiest openings of all time. I will share with you people my thoughts on it and reasons why I find the opening scary and creepy.

In case you don't know what Bagpuss is I'll tell you: Bagpuss is a British children's television-show that first came out to British television in 1974 in BBC One. It was created by pioneering producters Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin. It is a stop-motion animated series, about "an old, soggy cloth cat, baggy, and a bit loose at the seams." Only 13 episodes were ever made in the series - but it did become one of the most recognised shows of all time and often repeated in television.

In the begining of the show (in every episode) it began in a small town and there was a little girl named Emily and she lived and owned a shop, but the shop didn't sell anything. Emily would collect these broken stuff and display them at the window of the shop. Her favourite of the old was Bagpuss.

Although, the episodes don't really scare me - they were a bit of fun. What always creeps me out the most is the fact of the opening. I don't really know why it scares me. I think it is the little girl that gives me the creeps, it's just her face and hair that give me the creeps. I just find her scary, just by the look of her. She reminds me of the girl in the horror-film The Ring. Although the girl was actually played by Peter Firmin's daughter (simply named Emily Firmin). So, I'll show you each title card to the opening of Bagpuss.

Bagpuss title card - and nice acoustic guitar tune.

"Once upon a time---"

"---Not so long ago."

"There was a little girl and her name was Emily---"

"---And she had a shop."

"There it is. It was a rather unusual shop because it didn't sell anything."

"You see, everything in that shop was a thing that somebody had once lost. And Emily had found, and brought home to Bagpuss."

"And Emily's cat, Bagpuss."

"The most important---"

"The most beautiful---"

"The most magical---"

"---Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world."

"Well now, one day Emily found a thing."

"She brought it back to the shop."

"And put it down in front of Bagpuss."

"Who was in the shop window fast asleep as usual."

"But then Emily said some magic words:"

"Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss,
Old fat furry cat-puss,
Wake up and look at this thing that I bring.

Wake up bright,
Be golden and light,
Bagpuss, O hear what I sing."

From that point on, the black-and-white old-fashioned pictures blur and then here comes Technicolor. Bagpuss yawns and wakes up and so does the other toys in the empty shop. Including the bullfrog that played the banjo, Madeline the doll and the organ mice, etc.

Here is the opening of Bagpuss on YouTube:




Here, I've explained my thoughts on Bagpuss, if you've got some time to come over and comment about it - go ahead. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about it, even if you may be unfamiliar with the series of Bagpuss.

No comments: