Sunday, 6 February 2011

The King's Speech - The Hopes for King George VI

As we are now in the year 2011, and it is the "National Year of Communication", and on January 7, 2011 - it was the right time of the year to release the movie The King's Speech.

The movie did so well, that the BBC press were interested in speech and language difficulties. As I recently was chosen to be interviewed on the TV. I then decided that I ought to go and see the movie at some point. So, last week on Sunday 30 January 2011, I went for dinner with my family to go and see the movie The King's Speech and we weren't given good seats because it was a popular film, and we had to sit at the front. As soon as the trailers and advertisements were over, the warm screen got darker and darker, and then the film played.



I was really looking forward to seeing this amazing drama film - as I read in the newspapers that it's got more Oscar nominations than any other film. From the moment, I saw the film; I saw that the film was taking place in the year 1925 and King George V was still in the throne, and the future King George who was at the time the Duke of York and he was very nervous because he had a bad stammer problem, and he really struggled with his stutter, and he was supposed to prepare a speech for a horse race show.





As the years went on, and Prince Albert, Duke of York - King George VI (played by Colin Firth) was married to the Queen Mother/Duchess of York (Helena Bonham Carter), and he was known as the "Reluctant King", and then he was given advice to attend speech and language therapy lessons from Lionel Logue (played by Geoffrey Rush), and it was strongly recommended. 



For a while, the sessions work - and there are some funny jokes here - like when Prince Albert and Logue place a one-shilling bet; and what is interesting is that George stammers at different words, and yet he doesn't stammer when he swears - which is quite amusing, when he keeps on swearing without making a single stutter, and at times the entire audience were laughing at a fun joke in there. Lionel Logue helped George by placing music headphones on his ears and playing music, and George reading William Shakespeare's (Hamlet) - "to be or not to be...". And I thought there was a big spark at that point because King George VI stuttered very little with the music over his years, and he tried to assure Lionel that he couldn't read - but practice took time.


As his father King George V passed away very ill in January 1936, Prince Albert's older brother was the successor to the throne and was King Edward VIII - and this was trouble for Edward because he was deeply in love with the twice-divorced American woman Wallis Simpson, and it wasn't allowed in the Royal Family - so Edward had no choice but to abdicate the throne and George didn't want this to happen - that's way he was known as "The Reluctant King".



King George VI was planned to have a coronation - and then he wanted to invite Lionel Rogue as one of the important people in the coronation - Logue admits that he had no specific training in speech and language therapy - and yet he still practices with King George VI for his speech for the coronation - and tells him that he has to speak louder and that's what sparks me - because when I'm rehearsing for school plays in church halls, I'm often told to speak louder and I found that touching.


As soon as World War II comes and Hitler speaks about what will happen to the future world, and one of my favourite parts was when the young Elizabeth tells his father, "Daddy what is he saying", and George replies to the Hitler dialogue off-screen "I don't know but he's saying it well."


However, when it reached the ending - that's when I thought it was a real spark for me and it was extremely touching for me. King George VI was due to prepare a broadcast speech at 6 o'clock and he thought that he could never, ever complete it - and then he brought his friend Lionel Logue to help him with the speech and then he tried to make it easier by dividing the syllables and sign language. So, on the radio while he was still stammering but it was still going well - and at the time I thought it was the biggest highlight in the film. I have to say that I thought that the ending was very emotional because he completed a speech for the first time - and there were some tears that slowly came running down from my eyelids and running down my cheeks. It was an emotional ending in a good way because I just know how it feels to have such difficulties towards stammer because I've seen people in my school with stammer problems - and I just don't like it when people mock them because they obviously don't know what it's like to have that - and when I hear people mocking it: they'll be sorry.




So I left the cinemas and had dinner at a restaurant thinking what a brilliant film it was. I thought it was a very brilliant film to me - and I thought it was one of the best films that I've seen in a long time - and why I like the film so much is because I've learnt and recited the experiences I had when I was younger - and I thought that it had a brilliant storyline based on the true facts that had set each other perfectly.


Colin Firth who played the Speech and Language Impairment King did an excellent performance here - and I see some superb acting from Firth - and I think he deserves a HUGE round of applause and even an Academy Award for being the Best Actor of 2010. Geoffrey Rush who played Lionel Logue who is the King's speech therapist did fantastic acting in the film - and I think he could win the Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars in February.


All the actors did superbly well, and I also like the story well - and I'm glad the the King's Speech did really well at the Oscars, because at the end of the film where he announces the speech, the camera angles were very good.

The story was very good - because Logue and King George VI had a very good friendship and they became friends for the remains of their lives, and I just found it very touching and even when it it based on the true facts, and that's what makes it into a good film.


I hope that the film will go on will so many Oscars...




((Addition)): I recieved a comment from a shirty Anonymous person - who said, "The line "to be or not to be" is from Hamlet, not the Tempest you dumb-ass". Well Anonymous person - I'm not a Shakespeare fan and to be honest I think his work is BORING - so don't be shirty about it - and you can't expect me to get everything right like the character Nick Bottom who is in Romeo & Juliett.

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

I have not yet seen the film. I think I will see if it is still playing near where I live. I want to see this. it looks very promising to me. I will tell what I thought of it when I do see it.

Brian Sibley said...

I agree, Steven, it is as good a film as you say it is!

Don't worry about your 'shirty anonymous' comment-leaver: he or she is displaying their own ignorance!

But, if you don't mind me saying so, you shouldn't write off Mr Shakespeare quite yet. Give him a chance in a few years time and you might be be surprised how much he knew about life and people... :)