Friday, 25 February 2011

Fantasia Mosaic (XIV)




Here we finally come to an end of the last sequence of The Rite of Spring - you guys didn't think it was going to end didn't you?

It has been revealed that the dinosaurs have been completely wiped out from the last sequence and all we find in this lonely planet is no life. Nothing. Except for dry land, and also some old fossil fuels that are part of the dead dinosaurs. It has been like this for a long time in the planet now - and until something finally happens that is unexpecting. A massive earthquake roams the earth and mountains start forming, and boiling seas start pushing its way through.

I must say here that this is actually my favourite sequence of the Rite of Spring segment for several reasons. Well, to be honest - I do find the Rite of Spring the tedious segment of the Fantasia film - and probably why I like it because it's I just find it more exciting than the other sequences in the Rite of Spring. Two: I love the animation in it - particularly the earthquakes scenes.

What I like a lot about the earthquake sequences is the fact the way it was drawn. It was timed very spontaneously, and I love the rough drawings of the rocks falling - and the music just goes very well. Although, despite that I just have to complain about the music. Sure, I don't hate the score - but what I do hate the fact is that in the original Rite of Spring ballet - the music with the earthquake and water wasn't in the original Stravinsky ballet - trust me, in the ballet version (which I saw on YouTube long time ago) it was the original music. Oh, according to the Internet Movie Database with the trivia on Fantasia - it says: When Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971, the only featured composer still living in 1940) was contacted about the rights to use "The Rite of Spring," he offered to compose a completely new piece for Walt Disney. This was not taken, and Stravinsky hated Leopold Stokowski's re-orchestration and re-organization of the piece (the original order of the sections was jumbled, and two of them were completely left out of Fantasia (1940)). 

From Stravinsky's point - he hated the way Leopold Stokowski who re-arranged the Rite of Spring ballet. Interesting. Of course Igor Stravinsky was the only composer of the seven pieces of music in Fantasia alive to see the film.

What I do get the feeling of (as a comment reminded me) that the rocks and earthquake do look like Disney 1960's effects animation. It does feel like that it has been used by the Xerox process - but it wasn't. This animation of the rock is very rough and I really do like the it was treated - I even like the way it was done in some of the scenes like the effects animator like Don Tobin or Paul Kossoff animating the rocks without in betweens - and I think it's good it was done that way.

Art Palmer (again) continues to animate the waves - and he seems to be mostly "water" effects animation. Although what the draft has recorded is that most of the water scenes are a repeat from Sequence 8-2. As it says on the draft itself. Although I find it interesting that some scenes in the Rite of Spring draft have repeated scenes from Bill Roberts and Paul Satterfield in such a masterpiece film.

Although I have to say that I do like shot 18 animated by Don Patterson - because it just shows a scene of the bones, and in the scene they are shaking. I thought that it must've been difficult to achieve - especially from the year 1940. Because the eruption it effecting it and the bones have to move as if an earthquake is moving. Interesting how Don Patterson doesn't get much credit for his work in the Rite of Spring - but yet, he didn't do a lot of work here in the segment - so I suppose that the credits had to go to the others. But, I wonder why Don Patterson was here in the segment if the directors Bill Roberts or Paul Satterfield weren't going to put in the screen credits, while Patterson got screen credit on Night on Bald Mountain segment.

I like how the segment ends with the seas cooling down - and then the total eclipse from the sun just goes down.

Although, I do like the ideas from the storymen and researchers contributing to this sequence - but; isn't there a different story to what happened to the dinosaurs afterwards? Wasn't it like this: a meteor hit the earth, and destroying all the dinosaurs, and then suddenly ice spread all over the planet turning into an ice age. Until years later, it thawed and new life was born. Although that is what I thought, but as I'm not too good at science (trust me, I find Science difficult - I try - I got an average score in my Science test sheet).

By the way I really like how shot 23.1 animated by Ed Aardal and how it was handled. I loved how the skull in the ground got crushed by a rock and then it cracks into pieces that fly away. Wonderful, spontaneous timing here - and Ed Aardal was a good effects animator, a few years later he went on to character animation (we've seen that on my Pecos Bill mosaic).

Right folks, I'm afraid that's my talks for The Rite of Spring finished - and now I'll be looking forward to be posting mosaics for my favourite segments such as The Pastoral Symphony and Dance of the Hours. But, on the way we have to meet the Soundtrack.

No comments: