Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Fantasia Mosaic (XIII)



Hey folks - I have to admit that I'm a little bit surprised about the feedback recently - I'm not trying to pressure to you commenting - but, I have to admit I don't feel it's going as well as I thought it would be, are you guys still interested in me carrying on with the mosaics? To those who have commented (inc. Eric Noble), thanks for the stuff. Now, enough of my whinging and get on with the mosaics ;-)

*

We have reached the end of the Fight sequence, and here we are up to the final sequence for the dinosaurs. This is a very worrying time for the dinosaurs, as we are up to the "Extinction" segment. The dinosaurs are dying, there is hardly any water left, and worst of all - the Earth is very dry and there is a HUGE drout going on. The dinosaurs can't survive without water and sooner or later they'll be dying soon. They are dying of thirst and the whole planet was gone famine.

This sequence shows some good estimation about what could've possibly happened while the dinosaurs were extinct. Although, isn't there a different method when a meteor hit the Earth turning the planet into an "Ice Age" for years.

The animation of the dinosaurs here show a great monument of weight here, the dinosaurs move well and since we don't how an actual dinosaur moves - this here shows a great estimation. Although, I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the cels in shot 32 - the animation is good and brilliant weight to it - but I just don't feel that the cels should be too rough.

Here in this sequence some animators take over - Phil Duncan animates the beginning shots of the dinosaurs trying to find water - and as dust spreads through the scene and then Woolie Reitherman takes over the dinosaurs during the quicksand scenes. Paul Busch doesn't really take control of the dinosaurs here, he only animates the beginning and end scenes. Also, throughout the dinosaur sequences, I don't think Busch had much control of the dinosaur scenes than Woolie or Duncan do. Busch only really animates the dinosaurs watching the fight and some dinosaur scenes. They're basically primary stuff.

The special effects here are interesting - the dust somehow looks real - and I wonder which effects animator did that. The draft on those scenes only seem to get the second string effects animators and none of the ones like Josh Meador, George Rowley or Ed Aardal. Although I can spot one scene of the dust my Meador in shot 33. Although in shot 35 it says on the draft "Animals marching in dust." Although in the scene, I don't see dust moving, although I suppose the dust is in the air and it's not animated, so maybe Meador did the shadows here in the sequence - or the dinosaurs fading away into the distance.

Shot 35 while the dinosaurs are "marching into the dust", as they march to their deaths - what I think makes great visual storytelling is dinosaurs into the dust. As they fade away - you never see them again. You'll assume that they will be most likely dead by that point.

After shot 35 - there is no animation, except layouts of the skeletons of the dinosaurs (in which in millions of years to come they'll be discovered as "fossils"). It is perfectly revealed that the dinosaurs are officially dead.

I read in a home page about Josh Meador here that Josh Meador animated the "bubbling mud" scenes, and I was expecting Meador do be doing it here. Although, the only credit Josh gets in this sequence are the dust. Huh, funny that I shall mention this - I don't really think Meador handled much effects animation here at all than the other effects animators. Sure, you see his name - but I just don't think he does anything heavy at all. Maybe because Meador was the "Animation Supervisor" on effects animation in this segment and all the other effects animators were professional and knew what to do which meant that Josh didn't have a lot to do. I always thought that Meador was given the scenes by the director with the instructions "animate it". But I doubt it was done this way, I'm sure he contributed to the other effects in the film - maybe helping out a little.

I'm afraid that's as far as I'm going to get though - so, I hope you enjoyed this short post. I'll hopefully hear what you'll have to say - and I'll get on with my stuff.

See ya

No comments: