Monday, 3 January 2011

Fantasia Mosaic (II)

Here is Deems Taylor saying his introductions to The Nutcracker Suite - I noticed in the draft, that most of the Taylor dialogue for the Nutcracker are cut - or are not here in the film. Probably, because they couldn't restore any of the lost footage.

Just a small sequence today - as tomorrow I'll be heading back to boarding school - as the Christmas holidays are now finished for me, and I won't be able to be posting again until Friday. But, I'm certainly going to continue my posting curriculum, but it's just that I won't be available on weekdays again.

Here is the beginning of our Nutcracker Suite segment, and there will be a lot of segments here, and even the short "Mushroom Dance is a single sequence in the draft. But here in the Sugar Plum Fairy sequence, it's only 2 pages - but the animation here is beautiful, and the music is very beautiful - it's like a music book. (Even though this piece is very famous by Tchaikovsky.

In my opinion, I think that The Nutcracker Suite composed by Tchaikovsky is probably the most memorable piece heard in the film. Mostly, because there's a lot of music here in the segment that a lot of people in the public would recognize, and everyone is bound to know this piece - and the music is probably the most famous in the film.

The animation in this film is very sparkly, and the Sugar Plum Fairies are beautifully drawn and no guess that it was Les Clark and Bob Stokes animating the close-ups for the fairies. What's nice here, is that the fairies are somewhere in a woodland or forest and they are in a nice environment and are playing around by adding dewdrops into flowers, and cobwebs. The effects here are just gorgeous, and it's just fascinating by the look of it 70 years ago. It's a shame that the effects animators didn't really get credit for their work on the effects of the fairies, and the only effects animator credited is Cy Young but he only animated the "Dance of the Reed Flutes" (another great sequence).

Les Clark, has been long-credited for his work on the Sugar Plum Fairies, but here he only seems to animate a few scenes of the fairies (he animated more of the fairies in "Waltz of the Flowers"), and Bob Stokes seems to have done a bit more of the Sugar Plum Fairies than Les does. Walt Disney was actually very pleased with Les Clark's animation of the fairies here, and his work on The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

I don't think this sequence has had better layouts and backgrounds here - it's all just stunning. Bob Cormack and Bruce Bushman are credited for the layouts in this sequence, but I believe that Curt Perkins did do some conceptual designs here (tell me if I'm either right or wrong). The flowers are brilliantly laid out - and I like the dandelions as well, with spark they do look real.

What's interesting is that their are two close-up shots done by animator Jack Campbell. Surely, we didn't expect him to come up here in this sequence because he isn't in the screen-credits on this segment, while he worked on The Pastoral Symphony, and I really like his two scenes, they're very neat. I like shot 34 a lot, and the fairy appears to have a sunflower attached to her hair, and she appears to be naked (well, all the fairies appear to be naked), and I just like Campbell's acting here in shot 34, with the fairy, and she just seems more human and the character just looks relaxed. She sort of looks like Snow White (even though Campbell animated the character), he is indeed one of animator's BIG mysteries.

What's interesting here is that the character animators like Les Clark, Robert Stokes and Jack Campbell, seem to animate the fairies in the medium shots or close ups, with Ugo D'Orsi or Vern Witt doing the fairies' glow and the fairies creating dewdrops. A lot of the effects animators also appear to animate the fairies in long shots, in which the camera is in a far-away distance. It seems that Ugo D'Orsi and Vern Witt were responsible for animating the fairies's glowing and the dewdrops stuff while Les Clark and Robert Stokes animated them. George Rowley does a lot of long-shot scenes of the fairies, and is known to have animated the characters before in one of Michael Barrier's interviews. There are also three other effects animators on it and they were Cornett Wood, John Reed and Jack Gayek, and I like how Wood or Gayek did the fairies crashing into each other, such marvelous effect that strikes me and the audiences. It's fastly timed.

I know I probably didn't do a lot of commentary, but I haven't got a lot of time and plus it's just a small sequence, and what more else would I say.

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Very nice!! I love The Nutcracker Suite portion of the film. Beautiful.

Steven Hartley said...

Yes indeed, although my favourites are either the Mushroom Dance or the Dance of the Reed Flutes.

Gee, I don't have a favourite - I LIKE ALL OF IT!!