Sunday, 10 October 2010

Sam Cobean Artist


Today, I'm going to talk about an American artist who was famous at its time who worked in New York and was known for his comics called, The Naked Eye - yes, I'm going to take a look at Samuel Cobean.
Sam Cobean (1913-1951) was a comic artist known for his work on the book series, The Naked Eye and it features a group of drawings of certain men who have an inappropriate mind about women - I think that's what its about!
Sam Cobean was born on 28 December, 1913 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His mother died when he was only 8 years ago and by the time he was aged 15, he was an orphan. He later went to work for magazines and then went to work for Disney for a short time as an in-betweener on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinocchio and Sam said it was a boring, painstaking and repetitive job. His work as an animator was on Honest John and Gideon with scenes of Jiminy Cricket jumping on Foulfellow's hat or Honest John hypnotizing Pinocchio to go to Pleasure Island, and for an unknown reason, Cobean did not receive screen credit. Like most artists, he left Disney after the strike and went to work in the Navy for a short time, and that same year in 1941 - he married Anne McCool. During the 1940's and until his death, he worked as a cartoonist on the New York newspapers and most of them were about inappropriate minds about men which could be a bit sexist even though Cobean is the same gender, and in 1949; his first cartoon book The Naked Eye was published. On July 2, 1951; Sam Cobean drove in his red Jaguar car to send his e-mails, but on the way he died on a car accident which hit a tree and killed him instantly, he was only 37 years of age.
That's a small bio of him, although there's LOTS more on his website and I like his interesting style he has to his drawings - and its interesting which inks he uses and I like his style and it appeals to me - and like what I've done on my Norman Thelwell article, I'll show some of my favorite Cobean drawings:

"All right, go! But don't think you can come crawling back." Good layout and styling.
Sam Cobean's first ever drawing published in The New Yorker, April 8, 1944.
One of Sam Cobean's first "bubble" drawings.

Cobean's done quite a bit of series of drawings - I'll show an example of one!
Picture 2.

Picture 3.

Picture 4.

Picture 5.

Picture 6.

Picture 7.

Picture 8.
Here is an unpublished Cobean drawing.


That's an example of Cobean's distinct style of his drawings and I think they're pretty great - although I don't own any Cobean drawings but I just think they're funny and entertaining and his drawings appeal to me - I'm not saying that I have an inappropriate mind - but I think its just fun to look at.
Its a shame that he died from a fatal car accident - but I'm afraid that its just part of life.
If you want to see more of his great drawings - then go to his website www.samcobean.com - there is lots about Sam Cobean which is about his life and lots more of his drawings, I think its worth the watch.

1 comment:

Eric Noble said...

He definitely is a talented cartoonist, but a lot of the people who worked for The New Yorker were. I don't see as much as talent in the magazine today.