Monday, 25 October 2010

Blair Witch Project Review

In October of 1994
three student filmmakers disappeared
in the woods near Burkettsville, Maryland
while shooting a documentary...
A year later their footage was found.
Yep, this is the famous tagline on the famous 1999 horror film, The Blair Witch Project. In today's post, This is me blabbing on on my review on the film.

The Blair Witch Project is a 1999 horror film (as I've said) - and it's made and presented with the camera as "found footage" which is meant to be filmed in real time. The film was directed and written by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez.
The film mainly focuses in 1994 - with three student filmmakers who are all set on filming a documentary and their names are Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard and Michael Williams. They were researching on the "Blair witch" who lived in the woods of Burkettsville and used to take away children in the woods and kill them. They ask several residents in the tiny town of Burkettsville and say that there was this hermit named Rustin Parr, who YEARS ago - took seven children in his house and in the basements and tortured them to death. The filmmakers all went into the woods to find out a little more about this "Blair witch" - day after day and night after night; they hear strange cracking sounds in the dark including children's voices and Heather, Joshua and Michael panic day after day - and eventually they lost the map and they have nowhere to go since they were in the middle of nowhere!
I'll leave the plot here since I don't want to spoil the ending and it would leave SO much information and once you watch it by knowing the plot off by heart - you'll already know what's going to happen!
My thoughts on the film - and I thought it was pretty creepy and I certainly felt sorry for the students who were lost in the woods and having nowhere else to go, although when I watched it the first time (a few days ago), I didn't think it was as scary as I thought it would be. The cracking sounds at night time wasn't so loud and the filmmaker's fear didn't frighten me much - and even the sound of children's voices wasn't so scary and you could hardly hear what they were saying - but I don't think it's meant to concentrate on "gore" or "sudden frights" - it's scary because imagine you were in the woods and that's what you heard and the woods got creepier and haunted every day, then you would panic!
One of my dislikes on the film was the camera settings - yes it's like Paranormal Activity with "found footage" (even though Paranormal was before it's time) and at times the camera in Blair Witch was an awful lot blurry and at times you hear the students talking and you see nothing on the screen except pitch black! Although, it did put me off a bit; but I don't think the students were supposed to be professional camera people (even though they were filming a documentary) but it shows that they are frightened and they would be shaking the camera and it does make a great effect!
The very ending was pretty scary, and that was when they entered some abandoned, creepy house but I don't go in the details but I can show a picture of what the house looked like:

The house looks pretty creepy!
I'll end my review - it was a pretty good film and it was probably the first big film to use "found footage" and it was a good attempt - and when Paranormal Activity came out some ten years later, it looked really real and there wasn't an awful lot of blur (although technology is great these days, better than 10 years ago).
It was a good film - I wouldn't say great; I'd like a 7 out of 10, the most. The film is in the list of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die - although I wouldn't say it's THAT great, but I think it's a film that's worth the watch. It's only 78 minutes (according to my DVD), but it all fits in well in those short 78 minutes length.

No comments: