Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Sterotypes on Cartoons

I have seen cartoons with black sterotypes and racism, but probably the cartoon with the most black sterotypes I've seen was the early Merrie Melodies from the 1930's and 1940's, but I'll show you two of the cartoons in the MM series that I consider very politically
Yes, I've seen some black stereotypes on cartoons and sometimes you get some on big films, and I know that most of the public consider them as 'racist', well in some of the cartoons I find racist; but I admit I don't think the crows sequence in Dumbo, is racist I think its just a joke, and plus this was 1941 at the time and there wasn't much civil rights to black people, so we must learn. I'll show you the Bugs Bunny 1941 cartoon All This and Rabbit Stew, and I do find it not politically correct today but remember this is almost 70 years ago and this was what its like back then.
There's another Merrie Melodies cartoon which I find quite weird is the 1938 cartoon Jungle Jitters and it seems that most people don't know the cartoon - while I've known it for quite a few years, since its been on YouTube for a long time!
Yes, I do find them a bit racist, but watching it can be quite interesting because this was at a time when blacks had fewer rights than white people, now I'm not going to go there; but back then black people could only go to cinemas with the same race, and they weren't allowed to go to parks with white people as well as schools, etc. But...take a look today, Barack Obama is black and he's currently the President of America, now History's changed and now we're all equal! That's how it should be!
I'm not writing this to offend anyone I'm only looking back at how it was back then, and its pretty shocking looking at it I know, and no I'm not a racist person.

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Steven, if you want to see a racist cartoon, then you have to see Scrub Me Mama With a Boogie Beat from the Walter Lantz studio. This cartoon will make you feel dirty. It is that bad.

Nice job, but we still have a while to go before we are truly equal. That problem lies on a fundamentally human level. But if we keep fighting that good fight, I'm sure we can overcome.

Steven Hartley said...

Oh yes, I do know that Walter Lantz short, in fact I was going to use that in one of the posts but thanks for reminding me.