Saturday, 4 September 2010

Comedy Greats

Probably one of my favourite television show is the British sitom, Fawlty Towers.
To those who haven't seen it - I'll give you the facts...
Fawlty Towers is a television show which only ran for two series, the first series which was broadcasted in 1975 and the second series broadcasted in 1979, yes each episode lasted 30-minutes and its truly one of the funniest shows that has ever been made. Although the total series has only lasted 12 episodes and altogether the show only lasts 6 hours but its always worth the watch.
All 12 episodes were written by the comic genius John Cleese and his then wife Connie Booth and we all know John Cleese for his role in many stuff: Monty Python, Clockwise, etc. you name it! Both Cleese and Booth play roles in this...John Cleese plays the main character named Basil Faulty who is a hotel owner of 'FAWLTY TOWERS', and he is rather rude person, snobbish and always ends up humiliates himself.
Basil Fawlty also had a Spanish waiter named Manuel who did not understand English and his communication was always impossible and it often caused Basil's temper to flare. All the characters in it are very funny, and about every single episode of the series is very memorable and funny.
The origins of the show actually started when the Monty Python team were in a hotel in Devon and they came across this hotel owner and they all thought he was so rude and snobbish that they left before booking, but John Cleese decided to stay because it obviously gave him a show to develop. Its a funny story of how it happened.
Although, what's strange about me is that I do like the show - but sometimes I just can't watch too many in one sitting, I usually might be able to watch one or two episodes and then I had enough of it, I don't have any harm in the show, but I can't watch too much.
One of the my favourite ones is probably an episode called The Germans and it had quite a bit of controversial I think, because John Cleese has some German guests coming to his hotel and he tries to communicate with them and ends up walking like Hitler and embarrasses himself and leaving the Germans upset and offended. Of course this is hilarious, but doing something like that again on TV would leave up to many complaints, but here it doesn't need controversial because the show just proves of how much of an idiot he is.
Here is a scene from Fawlty Towers from YouTube which I think - in my opinion; is probably the funniest part of Fawlty Towers - and I think you should take a look at it.

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Ahh, good old Fawlty Towers. Truly a great piece of art. I feel the same way. I can watch it, but I can't watch that many.Weird. My favorite episode, besides The Germans, is Basil The Rat John Cleese is one of my inspirations when it comes to my sense of humor.

Steven Hartley said...

Ah yes, Basil the Rat is a good episode and it was the last one - one of my favourite parts was when Basil was offering a guest a tin of biscuits and opened the tin and there was a mouse in there.

It was actually John Cleese's favourite episode.