Monday, 6 September 2010

Beano Collection

Some of you might know that I have a lot of Beano comics at home or I written a post on the Beano some time ago - mostly from 1980's and 1990's comics and I loved reading them and collecting them - as much as I had lots of comics, I remember about almost two years ago in winter there was a second-hand bookshop in Oxted, Surrey and the man who owned it had lots and lots of old Beano and Dandy comics from the 1980's and 1990's and I managed to buy quite a bit of comics and the Beano's I've just scanned are some from the secondhand bookshop. The comics were very hard to scan so I'll only use two Dennis the Menace comic strips.

I've scanned from comic from November 7th 1987 (My oldest Beano comic that I own) and the other from March 5th 1988, back in the Beano days before it was colourised in 1993 - Dennis had his comic strips on the front page and it continued on the back page, and when the comic became all-coloured Dennis had a three-page strip Starting on the front page and then inside the comic continues with two pages. Usually the comic strips usually last two pages or one page, sometimes half a page. Yes, back in those days comics weren't very expensive at all to get and you could buy one for only 20 pence (Mind you the comics I bought at the secondhand bookshop only cost 20 pence a comic) - nowadays it costs like £1.99 or something...
Please note: I won't be posting again until Friday 10th September because tomorrow I head back to school and I board there and of course all blog sites are blocked including mine, so I'll be logged off for a while...

5 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Not bad. Very cool. I love seeing foreign comics.

Eric Noble said...

Hey Steven, how did you lay out your comics pages for this post. I'm trying to post one of my longer Uncle Scrooge stories and I would like to know.

Steven Hartley said...

It was hard to scan the pages for the Beanos because I tried scanning it normally but it kept showing it zoomed in and not probably in its place - so I may not be doing much Beano stuffs I'm afraid.

John V. said...

Im hoping to do a blog post about the Disney comics I got here in Scotland - they were called "Mickey and friends" and it's quite interesting/weird how they would be "Britishized".

Steven Hartley said...

I find Disney comics strange because all the Disney characters seem to appear in the "same universe".

Are you from Scotland?? I'm half-Scottish since most of my relatives (my mum in particular) are Scottish and my aunts and uncles are from Scotland and they were from the area Glasgow, its a very lovely country and I always look forward to going there.