Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Animal Farm Review

Today's review is...well, duh! Animal Farm!
I first read the book Animal Farm, about a year ago and it was my reading book for school, and I chose the book out of the library since I've known a little bit about the book by George Orwell (1903-1950), and I chose the book and my teacher thought it was a recommendation for me! So, I chose the book!
I read the pages, and although the book isn't huge or doesn't span pages and pages and pages, but I was really intrigued while reading it, and I knew that this was the recommended book for me to read it, and to tell you the truth...I'm not much of a reader (even though I know so much of these things), and its one of the fewest books that's intrigued me!
Let's get started:
Animal Farm is a 1945-fiction book written by Eric Arthur Blair, as we all know that his pen name was George Orwell. We all must have came across Orwell with his wonderful novels like:1984, Down and Out in London and Paris, etc.

(George Orwell)
Animal Farm is a great book and it sort of tells us a history lesson throughout the entire book (story), and NO its not a book about animals and their fun and happy adventures and they do really funny stuff!! This is a serious book which is actually mainly written for adults, and its written like a novel for adults!!
The WHOLE plot about Animal Farm is that its a bit like the Russian Revolution of 1918 and Communists, a bit like Josef Stalin or Lenin, but instead...they use animals in the story to make it easier: the animals are cast by people. Let me get to the characters: the main characters is a leader pig named Napoleon and he was a leader throughout the story and he trained puppies into guard dogs. Another group of characters are Benjamin the donkey, who is a working-donkey: rather old and weak for his age and he had a friend who was a horse named Boxer who is the strongest animal on the farm: but is rather naive and dedicated!! They had rules on the farm likeOne leg good, two legs bad which is very memorable, and the pigs later took over the farm and at the end of the book it turns out that the pigs were the enemies after writing up the rules in giant letters: ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS which went on to become one of the most famous lines in the history of literature.
There has been a 1954 animated-film adaptation by Halas&Batchelor and it is mainly remarked as the first "British" animated-feature, and I have seen the film but I can't tell which is better...because I love the animated-film and its musical score, and the book was very well-written and I can't argue! But, I must say the book is better because its more well-written an structured and well-timed! The entire film is available on YouTube.
Well, what more could I say I enjoyed the book and its become an influence on me to work on Literature, it truly does stand as one of the greatest books ever written, and George Orwell is one of my favourite authors, and I've started reading his more serious and well-known novel,1984.
However, Animal Farm is a great novel and anyone who's never read it...well about time you got off the moron-machines (video-games) and the TVs, and try to get off the computer for once, and I have that trouble a bit of staying off computers, but I'm improving!!
WAIT!!, I've got quite got to the finishing stage yet!! I'm going to rate the films in terms of understanding ability, good character development, the whole plot and the TOTAL.
Understanding ability - 8 out of 10
Good character development - 8.5 out of 10
The whole plot - 9 out of 10
and I'm going to sum that all together into 9.5 out of 10. Well, nothing perfect! I'm not that person who always says "1o out of 1o" or I don't exaggerate with "25 out of 10"
--Steven Hartley

2 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Well, with that kind of recommendation, how can I turn that down. It sounds like a wonderful read. I also want to see the animated film. Both intrigue me. Another great book in that same vein is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I read in my sophomore year of high school, and I truly enjoyed it.

Steven Hartley said...

You ought to read the book - its great and its one of the great books of literature, although I'm probably going to be studying the book with my GCSE's